Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fresh Meat - Why I'm glad I'm a Carnivore...

(Just a warning that you all know this is still under construction and a new header should be coming soon -- Also a reminder to check out my concert review of last years shows at http://strength-through-music.tumblr.com)


Sunday was Fresh Meat for the Toronto Roller Derby and there were a lot of women there, over 80 of which who stayed the day, paid their dues, and plan on coming back for another go. It's funny how you can point out a derby girl easily on your way to practice even without the gear. Waiting for the bus there are a bunch of people with their kids, and then 20 girls, most of them pierced, pinup style makeup, glasses and some form of eccentric fashion statement. All the way from the girl with the dyke look head to toe, the platinum white haired blonde, the girl wearing as many colours as she can possibly fit on at once and still feel good, and me...with an octopus on my head. One of the committee members was on the bus and asked that we take a picture of us in front of it to prove that people do ride it since the TTC is currently threatening to close down our bus route for over half of the year when we need it the most to get to and from games, but on the plus side this did not discourage any of the girls from showing up and signing their lives over.

While waiting for everyone to filter in, most of us watched the Toronto Junior Roller Derby practice. Let me tell you, it's intimidating watching an 11 year old skate better than you can now let alone better than you could when you, yourself, were 11 years of age. The coaches and Fresh Meat come out on skates and try to holler over the noise of little girls screaming to 100+ girls about the ins and outs of derby making sure to highlight the collarbone injury one of them is proudly sporting. I'm giving in and doing it, I pay my dues, pass over my information and sign my ass up. I'm a carnivore and I'm going to take this other meat down. (In the friendly way of course).

Apart from all of this, there is my move coming up soon, so proper fashion reviews and photos and outfits of the day and so on will be occurring and posting on the blog in just a few more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment